Scrolling Text

Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks

Welcome to My Blog !

By : Nirdosh Dhakal
I'm, here at this regular post Free Software, Computer Problem Solving, Tips, Tricks & Tutorial. Various stuff to change Windows look & feel. In this article, I'm going to list some of my best and most exclusive articles for you. So take your time and make sure you haven't missed any of them?

24 September 2012

Recover Forgotten Ms-Word Passwords !

The software has extensive password recovery options for different Office applications, but I used my Home version just for mangling with Microsoft Word.

When you open the application, you can chose different types of attacks. In majority of cases dictionary attack will be just enough. A large base of Word users uses normal phrases for this kind of passwords. Open a Word file and the password recovery process will start:



The software is very fast and as you can see from the lower right bottom of the screenshot below, it tested approx. 17,000 passwords per second. In its peaks the number was up to seven times bigger.



Two minutes after starting the scan I got a positive response from the software and it showed that I was one of "those" people that use their dog's name as a password. Shame on me - the only thing I can say to my defense is that this Word file did not hold any important information.



While playing with the software I tested it against some different types of passwords such as random gibberish and birth dates. Of course, the dictionary was not enough for recovering these passwords, but the brute force attack came to the rescue and delivered results.